This is a comprehensive guide to Windows password recovery.
Many people rarely forget or lose their Windows passwords.
But when they do, it turns out to be one of the most frustrating situations.
Fortunately, we’ve got a solution for you.
Let’s start with simple methods before proceeding to complex ones.
Method 1: Reset your Microsoft Account Password Online
NOTE: This method only works for Windows 8 and Windows 10
Since Windows 8 & 10 users often use their Microsoft Accounts to login into their Windows accounts, resetting your Microsoft Account password can help to regain access to your locked computer.
This method doesn’t require a reset disk.
You will only need your email address, phone number, or Skype name.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Go to the Microsoft account recover page
- Enter your email address, Skype name, or Phone number associated with Microsoft account
- Choose whether you want to receive your recovery code via email or text
- Provide the required information to confirm your identity. You will receive a recovery code through the method you chose
- Type the recovery code into Verify Your Identity and click next
- Now enter your new Password twice.
Method 2: Use the Other Administrator Account in Your PC to Reset Your Password
This is another simple method that might help if your computer has more than one user account.
You have to use the other Administrator account in your computer to reset your Password.
If you don’t have permission, you may want to request the administrator to help you reset your password.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Login into the other Administrator account with the correct logins
- Go to Control Panel
- Click User Accounts
- Select Manage Other Account. This option could also be Change an Account in other versions of Windows.
- Select the account you want to reset
- Click the Change Password option, or Create Password
- Enter a new password twice. You can also set up a Password Hint to help you remember your Password.
- Click Change Password, and you are good to go!
If none of these methods work, you can use a Windows Password Recovery Tool.
Read on to find how.
Method 3: Use Windows Password Recovery Tool
You can use a Windows password recovery tool to recover your forgotten or lost Password. There are many effective tools you can download from supported websites.
Here are some of the best Windows password recovery tools and how to use them:
1. Windows Password Key
This is the best password recovery tool. It allows you to reset your Windows administrator or user password without having to re-install your operating system.
Most importantly, you don’t need to be tech savvy to use this tool.
Features of the Windows Password Key Standard
- Reset lost or forgotten Password
Windows Password Recovery Standard works with a USB flash drive to help you reset lost or forgotten Password.
Whether you want to recover your Administrator or user password, this software will help you to achieve that.
- Bypass Windows passwords
Windows Password Key Standard can also help you to bypass a Password. If you have a tendency of forgetting your Windows password and you must lock your computer before leaving, you can use this tool.
With it, you can get around the Password in safe mode or with a reset disk.
- Reset Windows Password
You can also use Windows Password Key Standard to reset your Administrator or user password.
This versatile tool is ideal for anyone who can’t remember their Password but wants to reset it.
- Password recovery
If you don’t want to reset your Windows password and you can’t remember it, Windows Password Recovery Standard is the right tool for you.
Windows password recovery with this tool is also fast, making it the perfect method for those who are looking to regain quick access to their computers.
How to use Windows Password Key standard
Windows Password Key Standard allows you to create a bootable USB or CD/DVD.
Here is how you should go about it:
- First, you will need to download the free trial version of the software
- Use the software to create a reset ISO
- Browse the ISO path created in the first step above to choose your existing Windows password reset file
- Choose your bootable reset disk
- Click the Burn button and wait
- Then boot your computer from the bootable CD/DVD or USB you have created.
One of the main advantages of using Windows Password Key is that it is easy to use.
You can use it to recover, reset or bypass your Windows password. It also has a 100% recovery rate.
2. PassCue Windows Password Recovery
This password recovery tool can unlock your Windows administrator and user password without causing any data loss. It works with Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista, and Windows Server.
Follow these simple steps to recover your Password with this tool:
- Download PassCue Windows Password Recovery to your PC.
- Install the program on working computer
- Using the working computer, create a bootable reset password disk
- Insert the bootable reset disk into the problem computer and set it to boot from it
- You will see all the user accounts on your PC. Select the locked ones
- Click Reset Password button, followed by Reboot to restart your PC.
You can now access your computer without a password.
3. Spower Windows Password Reset
This is another excellent Windows password recovery tool.
Here are the steps you need to follow to use this tool:
- Download Spower Windows Password Reset on a working computer
- Open the software
- Insert a CD/DVD or USB flash drive into your PC
- Select the media type you want to use from the distinct buttons you can see there.
- Click Begin burning to create a Windows password reset disk
- Set the problem computer to boot from the CD/DVD or USB
- Boot the computer from the bootable disk
- When the Password reset software starts up, select a user and click on Reset to reset Password for that particular user
- Click the Reboot button to restart your computer.
You can now log in with your new Password.
4. Ophcrack Windows password recovery tool
Ophcrack is one of the best free Window password recovery tools you can find out there. It is not only fast, but also easy to use for first-timers.
Since you don’t have access to the problem computer, you will have to use a working computer to access the Ophcrack website and download the free ISO image.
Burn the file on a CD/DVD or USB drive, and boot the problem computer from the disk.
The Ophcrack software will then locate Window administrator and user profiles and recover their passwords automatically.
The tool can recover Windows password with mixed letters and numbers in less than 4 minutes. It supports Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
5. Offline NT Password & Registry Editor (ONTP&RE) (Windows password recovery tool)
This tool works differently from other password recovery tools in that it deletes your Password instead of resetting it.
Like Ophcrack, you have to burn the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor ISO file on a CD/DVD or USB and start the problem computer from the bootable disk.
Wait a few moments for the tool to remove the password. You can now access your Windows PC, and create a new password afterwards.
The recovery process includes some command line work, but it shouldn’t be difficult for the average computer user.
If you think this “password removal” strategy is what you need, then you should definitely try this software.
Offline NT Password & Registry Editor works on both 64-bit and 32-bit systems versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 computers.
It should also be compatible with Windows NT and Windows 2000.
LCP is a free Windows Password Recovery Tool. You can download the standard Windows software from the LCPSoft website and install it on your Windows PC. This means you need to have a user account on the PC.
For people who are new to Windows Password Recovery tools, LCP can be a bit intimidating; therefore, some prior knowledge can be helpful when it comes to using this tool.
The software program installs quickly, and you don’t have to burn it on a disc. However, it doesn’t work on new versions of Windows.
How do I recover my password for Windows 10?
Windows 10 users often login into their Windows accounts using a Microsoft account.
If you can’t remember your password, you can use another computer to access the Windows Live password reset page and reset your password.
This is the simplest password recovery method for Windows 10.
How do I bypass a password on Windows 10 when it’s locked?
To bypass a Windows 10 password, you will need a password recovery tool. Windows Password Key is one of the most effective tools you can use.
This tool will help you to bypass Windows 10 password in safe mode or with a password reset disk.
How do I start Windows 10 without a password?
To start Windows 10 without a password, you will need to remove the password first. The only way to do this is by using Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.
This password recovery tool deletes the password, giving you access to your PC without entering a password.
How can I change my Windows password without old password?
If your computer is running Windows 8 or Windows 10, you can change your password by resetting your Microsoft Account password.
You will only need to provide your email address, phone number, or Skype name.
You can also use a password recovery tool like Windows Password Key, Ophcrack, Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, or Kon-Boot.
Hopefully, you will be able to recover your password with one of these Windows password recovery methods.
All the Windows password recovery tools on this post have a high password recovery rate. Most importantly, you don’t need to be a tech expert to use them.